Some folks around here consider this to be an edible mushroom. I on the other hand do not they are considered to be a false morel and thus are poisonous. Some folks say, “Poisonous? I’ve eat them all my life and I ain’t sick!” To that I say good luck because the fact of the matter is people have died from just breathing in the fumes as they cook. What makes them so bad?
To quote a gentleman that goes by the handle BigFoot at WILoutdoors.com;
“The active ingredient in false morels is called gyromitrin. (N-methl-N-formylhydrazine) Metabolized it becomes monomethylhydrazine, Rocket Fuel!!! I don’t know about anybody else but rocket fuel is not on my menu. I will say that something about the Big Red seemed slightly appetizing but then again I just couldn’t get past the rocket fuel.”
March 29th, 2012.